XTERRA DINO Northern Indiana Triathlon
August 5, 2017 South Bend, IN: Potato Creek State Park
|SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (Eastern Daylight Time):|
Friday, August 4
Check-in/Registration at race site
Free XTERRA Racing Clinic
|Saturday, August 5||7:00AM||Registration Opens|
|9:00AM||Swim Start - Competitor Wave|
|9:02AM||Swim Start - Survivor Wave|
|9:30AM||Canoe/Kayak Division Start|
|1:00PM||Awards & door prizes; lunch|
CHECK-IN: Potato Creek State Park, Orchard Shore Picnic Area ; Friday, August 4, 6:00–8:00PM or Saturday, August 5, 7:00–8:30AM.
Distances: 1/2 mile swim, 16 mile mountain bike, 7 km trail run
SWIM: The swim start is from a sandy beach. The course is a 0.5-mile, V-shaped swim with one sharp left turn halfway through. The finish of the swim will be at a grassy lakeshore near the Orchard Shore picnic area. Lifeguards will patrol the course on kayaks or canoes. Kayak division goes from start around the turn buoy, then back to the start, then completes the entire V-shaped course.
Notice: this lake has been found to have blue-green algae. Though most swimmers do not have a problem, blue-green algae can cause irritations in some people. We suggest athletes shower promptly after the race.
BIKE: The 16 mile bike segment is a generally fast and beginner friendly course. It is a two-lap bike course..
RUN: The 7 km run course (approximately 4.3 miles) contains gently rolling terrain on easy to moderate difficulty trails. Midway through the course are two moderate hills.
AWARDS: Overall top three men and women receive plaques. Top three in each age group receive medals.
XTERRA USA CHAMPIONSHIP: The XTERRA USA Championship held in September 2017 at Snowbasin Resort in Ogden, Utah.
CAMPING: Camping is available on site. Reservations are available at http://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/.
If the park's campground is full, the nearest alternate is Beaver Ridge Campground (4 miles East of park). contact them at 574-784-8532.
LODGING: The park has cabins - be sure to reserve in advance at http://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/. There are numerous motel / hotel options on the south side of South Bend, Indiana.
FREE XTERRA CLINIC: Free XTERRA Racing Clinic, Friday July14 & Friday August 4! 7pm at the race's Transition Area.
Offered by Chrissy Halioris (Barry S Coaching, Louisville KY, barryscoaching.com) and Al & Kristen Wade (Brave Heart Coaching, Chicago)
Chrissy's coaching focus is on cyclocross, Xterra and Triathlon youth, junior and adults. She coaches locally and remote.
From South Bend, follow US 31 South to exit on State Rd 4 (Pierce Street). Turn left (west) and continue 6 miles to Potato Creek State Park. Follow signs to the beach / Orchard Shores area.
PARK ENTRY: Each day's entry is $7 per vehicle ($9 for out-of-state). Annual entrance pass to ALL Indiana State Parks is $50 ($70 for out-of-state). Note the trails may be closed when conditions are wet. For race-weekend updates, call the DINO Hotline: 317-336-7553 or follow us on Twitter:@DINOseries.
SOLO DIVISION AGE CLASSIFICATIONS: age 10-12; 13-15; 16-17; 18-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85-89; Challenged Athlete
RELAY TEAM DIVISIONS:
- All Male, All Female, Mixed, Masters (all team members over 40)
- Teams are a relay format, not simultaneous participation.
- Exchanges may only occur between race segments.
SWIM WAVES: The swim start will be divided into "competitor" and "survivor" waves. Please check one choice on the entry form. Both waves will be combined for awards and XTERRA points (the two minute wave delay is subtracted from Survivor Wave times).
- Participants expecting to finish in the top 50% of the field should check "Competitor" wave.
- Participants expecting to finish in the lower 50% of the field should check "Survivor" wave.
Note: All relay teams will be assigned to the "Survivor" wave.
CANOE / KAYAK: You may bring your own boat or rent a boat from DINO. All boats must be 18' or less in length. Life vests are required. All boats must be solo powered except relay teams, which may send any number of team members in the boat. The race will begin with a short mass-start run to the boats. The canoe / kayak portion of the race consists of two laps of 0.5 miles each. The field is limited to 50 total canoes or kayaks. The rental boat is a 9'5" sit-in plastic kayak (make/model: Mainstream Streak). Paddle and lifejacket are included in rental. Limit of 12 rentals per event - register early!
MISCELLANEOUS TRIATHLON NOTES:
- Wetsuits are not allowed unless the water temperature is less than 72 degrees F. Expected water temperature is mid 70s. Wetsuit Rentals available from XTERRA Wetsuits. No other types of floatation devices are allowed.
- Athletes are expected to follow conduct guidelines as established by USA Triathlon.
- Athlete assumes all liability for any injury, illness, or property damage as a result of the event. All athletes must sign a liability waiver at the event. All athletes under age 18 must have the waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Contact DINO if a waiver is needed prior to the event sign-in.
- Click here for DINO's Refund Policy.
- In the event of dangerous weather or course conditions, DINO will make every effort to delay, postpone, or modify the event. However, if cancellation is necessary, no refunds will be given.
Related / Local Links: